What age group does the Carers' Support Centre help?

We offer help and support to any Carer from the age of 18 years+.

What support is available for Young Carers (aged under 18)?

Young Carers (aged under 18) should contact North Lincolnshire Council’s Wellbeing and Young Carers Team on 01724 853400 or 01724 271556.


I have some spare time - can I help you at all?

Yes please.  We welcome volunteers to do all sorts of things. Befriending, giving out information, driving etc. Expenses will be paid. For further information or an informal discussion please contact us on 01652 650585 or click here.

My father can't walk very far and I feel a wheelchair would be helpful. What should I do?

Make an appointment with your father’s GP who will assess whether he needs one. If he does need one inside the house he should be provided with one free of charge. If his GP feels he doesn’t need one there are several wheelchair and mobility specialists locally from which a wheelchair could be purchased.

My disabled mother needs help in order to manage at home after leaving hospital. How do I go about getting her the services she needs?

Before she is discharged from hospital an assessment should be carried out by the Hospital Social Services Team.

Otherwise, many services are arranged through the local authority’s Social Services Department. In order to qualify, your mother will first need a community care assessment. Contact North Lincolnshire’s Social Services on 01724 297000 as soon as possible and ask for an assessment. Your mother’s GP can also refer her.

If your mother doesn’t qualify she can buy care direct from home care agencies.

If your mother is assessed as needing certain services the local authority has a duty to provide them. These services may include meals on wheels, care workers visiting to help her dress, wash, shop, clean her house, attendance at a day centre, respite care or possibly residential or nursing care. These services are not always free. Your mother’s financial situation will need to be assessed and she may be asked to contribute towards the cost.

If you are caring for your mother you are also entitled to an assessment of your own.

The voluntary sector can also provide social outlets such as luncheon clubs and social clubs, as well as services such as assisted shopping, befriending, gardening, handymen and volunteer drivers.

I am worried about my child's behaviour. What can I do?

Your first port of call would be to contact your local Children’s Centre or to speak to the school to see if the child is displaying the same behaviour there, or if there is a reason behind the behaviour being displayed.

Does my child need to have a diagnosis in order to access short breaks, or get extra help from school?

Not necessarily as it is based on your child’s needs. If your child has any form of additional needs, they will be entitled to short breaks, and they should be on the SEN register at school to entitle them to extra support and time if needed.

I have been asked to attend an Early Help Meeting at my child’s school, what is it?

Early help is support that is given as soon as a problem emerges – at any stage in a child or young person’s life. It can take the form of services to parents, children or whole families. But the main focus is to improve outcomes for children. Click or tap here to find out more.