Caring with Confidence
Caring with Confidence is a programme of five sessions each dealing with a particular subject area. The programme is aimed at helping Carers improve their own situation and that of the person they care for.
Carers can choose to attend one, some, or all, of the sessions:
- Finding Your Way – This will help you to look at what matters to you and to get to know what help and support is available.
- Caring and Coping With Stress – Invites you to take time out to look at how you manage demands on your time and the emotions involved in looking after someone.
- Caring and Resources – How you can maximise your income and access other helpful resources.
- Caring and Life – Discussion and planning around your own health and well-being and the essentials of caring for someone day-to-day.
- Caring and Communicating – Helps you get the best from communicating with professionals and service providers.
Understanding Dementia consists of 4 sessions designed especially for Carers to develop their understanding of dementia.
- What is dementia? – In this first session you will discover what the term means, and find out about the most common types of dementia and their symptoms.
- Brain, behaviour and memory – You will be introduced to the parts of the brain which are affected, and the behaviour associated with it. You will also gain an understanding of how memory is altered in dementia.
- The ageing senses and the stages of dementia – We will explore of how the ageing senses impact dementia and the implications for carers. Plus, an introduction to the stages of the condition, their signs and symptoms and caring strategies.
- Communication and coping strategies – You will find out about language changes in dementia, reflect on what you have covered in the programme, and how you can continue to be supported.
First Aid For Carers
Free practical training to help give you the confidence to deal with an emergency situation delivered over two online sessions. We offer short course and longer courses.
Back Care Training
Free training course covering the causes of back pain and how to look after yourself whilst carrying out daily tasks. It also gives you an opportunity to learn practical techniques for moving and handling safely. This online course is offered over two sessions.
This session is an opportunity to find out more about the common issues facing carers relating to legal matters and financial planning for all ages. There is free specialist information and advice from local experts about wills, lasting power of attorney, long term care costs, later life planning and trusteeships. There will also be an opportunity to ask questions. This session lasts approximately two hours and is online.